Thursday, June 18, 2009

Corn and Bean Salad with Basil-Lime Vinaigrette

(I posted this to my aunt's blog "It's a Keeper"- we share recipes, but I thought I'd put on here too.)

This is a recipe my friend Kat made for me once for dinner and I thought it was the best ever, and it's pretty healthy to boot. She got it from Giada De Laurentiis from Food Network, but I've just made it faster by using canned instead of fresh veggies.

Makes: 8 servings
Calories: 283 per 1 cup serving

Salad:
1 can of corn
2 (15 ounce) cans of black beans, drained and rinsed
1 (15 ounce) can of garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
2 roasted red peppers from the jar and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1 mango, peeled, cored and cut into 1/2 inch pieces

Vinaigrette:
2 limes, zested and juiced
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper

Directions:
1. Mix the salad ingredients together
2. In a small bowl combine the lime, vinegar, basil and cumin.
3. Slowly add the oil, whisking constantly until the mixture thickens and season with salt and pepper to taste.
4. Pour the vinaigrette over the salad and toss well. Refrigerate for 1 hour, toss again before serving.

No comments: