Sunday, March 27, 2011

Spring Break Part Three: Busy Monday in London

So Tom and I had the best intentions of getting up early Monday but over slept just a little. I dashed downstairs to grab some  breakfast (they looked at me like I was a little silly since they were closing, but I wasn't going to miss out on free croissants!)  We started out the day walking to the river Thames and took a river cruise up to the Tower of London.  There we were regaled by stories of death and torture by the Beefeater tourguides, saw the crown jewels, and armor of Henry VIII.  I could have spent all day there, but we wanted to try and fit in as much as possible.  We got to the British Museum only about a 1/2 hour before they closed, just enough time to see the Rosetta Stone, Egyptian art, and Korean ceramics.  Since they were closing we had time to find Abbey Road where Tom tried his best to walk where the Beatles walked.  Unfortunatley, it was dark and a very busy street so we couldn't get the full picture imitation.  I was feeling a little tired and starving so we went to a little diner called Munchkins, I wasn't expecting much but they had the best veggie burger I think I've ever had!  After all this running around I was glad we had tickets to sit down and see We Will Rock You.  A musical written by the remaining members of Queen. The show was silly, the music was great. After about the 4th encore I was thinking "alright already" when Queen suddenly came on stage.  It turns out the night before they had won an Olivier award and came to thank the audience.  Pretty lucky night to be there!

walking down to the river

the whole city seemed to be under construction getting ready for the Olympics next year

Cruising by the Tower Bridge

Our Beefeater (or Yoeman Warder) guide telling stories

The Armor of Henry VIII

The White Tower

Mmmmm, a nut and maple syrup treat for me!

At the British Museum

I love Egyptian art, I took a few classes and it was nice to see in person!

The Original


Tom doing his best stroll down Abbey Road

Some kids were taking pictures too, busy street!

Freddy Mercury statue outside of We Will Rock You


(not my video, borrowed from YouTube)

Back to sleep at the Mint

No comments: